Friday, October 13, 2006

Gottfried reigns in hoop title hopes

I'm not sure why he wants to downplay it, but he is.... seems silly to me.

"The writers and editors who are picking our team high need to go on vacation for a while," he said.

Immediately, Gottfried starts jutting out fingers and listing the major obstacles for his club.

"The first thing, in this league you have Florida, who returns everyone from the national championship team. And in the SEC West, LSU returns three starters and the SEC player of the year (Glen Davis) from a conference championship team. I don't think there's any question the rest of the league is chasing those two."


Click here to read the rest of this.

More al.com links
2 starting spots open according to this piece. I disagree... Gee has secured a spot IMO. Let the battle begin for the final slot.

Another Steele article talking about him being an Iron Man and the expectations of this team.

Finally, practice begins Friday at 7:30PM CST (I have to put CST as I'm an EST dweller).

3 comments:

Hville said...

I think it is good to downplay the expectations of this team, because for quite a while last season, we were mediocre. Besides, I would rather be pleasantly surprised than let down. I know what they are capable of, and consistency will bring that out.

BTW, your last 2 links are broken.

bamahoops said...

Thanks... I'll correct them in a minute.
As a sport looking to get off "page 2" I believe downplaying expectations is a no-no. Let the fanbase get fired up about hoops. Some could say him downplaying expectations is a built in excuse in case things don't go the way many think it will.

Hville said...

Good point. We need all of the hype we can get as far as that goes. I never thought of it that way.

Expectations were fairly high last year, but losing some very winnable non-con games hurt.