Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Tom Asbury announces his retirement from coaching

TUSCALOOSA - Tom Asbury, an assistant coach on Mark Gottfried’s University of Alabama staff for the past four seasons, will retire from coaching when his current contract expires in July. Asbury, 61, came out of coaching retirement in April of 2003 when he joined the staff at Alabama.

“This is something that actually has been in the planning since the beginning of the season,” said Asbury who was head coach at Pepperdine from 1988-94 and Kansas State from 1994-2000. “It became apparent around the first of the year that I was not going to be able to continue to commit to the hours and demands of coaching. Mark and I discussed from the start that I wanted to do this for three or four years and because of health issues that have arisen in my family in the last year I had decided earlier this year that this would be my last year of coaching.”

Asbury will remain a part of the University of Alabama’s athletic department staff in another capacity.


From rolltide.com

Let's see who replaces TA... hopefully it's a defensive-minded coach. Hopefully the coach has some input.

1 comment:

Alias said...

Coach Asbury and his family deserve our prayers and heartfelt thanks. I wonder what it would cost to lure T.R. Dunn away from the NBA.