Monday, December 24, 2007

Alabama wins Las Vegas Classic... downs Iowa State...

... 83-68 for our most impressive victory to date.

Box score

Gee led the team with 23 points and 11 boards while Hendrix and Riley added 18 a piece. Pickett had 13 points and 5 assists with only 1 turnover. Heck, if it wasn't for Coleman we'd been perfect from the charity stripe.

I guess what I'm most impressed by is the 7 turnovers. I think this team is starting to gel... with a weak SEC we might be able to contend for the West.

Mykal Riley was the tournament MVP. Good for him.

Next up... George Washington next Saturday the 29th. I hope there's a good crowd at Coleman to greet the players. I'll be there.

2 comments:

Alias said...

bobbyjack, I would like to hear from you or DJC about the Shockers defense. I see where we shot 64% from outside the arc. Were they defending those shots?

I also note we held them to 32% three point shooting. Were we defending the perimeter?

CMG has talked for 6 weeks about this team's trying to find itself and trying to work out a rotation. Based on these numbers and his statements it looks like he has settled into his customary 7-8 man rotation. Coleman had more minutes that usual because of Hendrix's early second foul. Hollinger looks to be the first or second guy off the bench because he brings experience and another outside shooter (when he will launch it) to the mix. Torrance will be our number two at the point until a healthy Steel returns next year.

I want to commend CMG for what he has doen to this point in the season. Almost every Bama fan I know has said from day one that Brandon Hollinger does not have the physical tools to be a legitimate starter at the SEC level. CMG has taken a kid with heart, determination, an excellent work ethic, and a self-sacrificial team-first attitude and allowed him to work his way into a very important part of what could turn into a pretty good basketball team before this season is over. I applaud both CMG and Brandon for their accomplishments!

Thanks for the report. I look forward to meeting you Saturday.

bobbyjack said...

I didn't buy the game as I was flying out early the next day and needed sleep so I listened to it as I was winding down.

It's good to see the team step up when Hendrix picked up his 2nd foul.

As for BH... I think he found his niche as a 2 guard off the bench. Next to Torrance he's my favorite current Tide player. Maybe I should put up a poll.