Saturday, March 08, 2008

OT Thriller- Bama beats Dores 78-73

Box score

It took all season, but we finally beat a ranked team. Great win on senior day. Riley came up clutch in OT. It's good to see him shine in his last home game.

The good:
- 1/2 court defense. I thought for the most part it was outstanding.
- Riley kept coming up with big 3s. Good for him on senior day.
- Held Vandy well below their season scoring average in regulation.
- Defended Shan Foster well.

The bad:
- The last 2 minutes of the 2nd half. I just knew Vandy was going to tie it up.
- Riley's silly foul on Ogilvy under a minute left. Let him go and you're still up by 1.
- Hendrix was lousy defending the interior. He also went invisible in the 2nd half.
- Transition defense... again it was horrible.

Let's see if the team can build on this win come Thursday when they face the Gators. We're in the bracket opposite of Tennessee so we could make a run to the SEC Finals. I'm being serious... outside of Tennessee I don't see a team in the SEC we can't match up well against IF they guys play like they did today.

2 comments:

Bill said...

This looked like the best game they'd played all year. At least it was the best I had seen them play at home.

I don't know how they will fare against Florida this week in Atlanta. They matched up well the first week of the conference schedule and played well enough to win, only to collapse in the last 60 seconds.

I'm hoping I get to use more than just my first round tickets in Atlanta.

bobbyjack said...

If we defend the perimeter like we did against Vandy we could pull the upset Thursday. I'd like to see us do a better job in transition as the Gators like to run.

Both teams have a lot to play for next Thursday... Florida for the NCAA hopes and us for a chance to make it to postseason.