Sunday, July 06, 2008

Nostaglia, does it affect the way we judge sports today?

I write this on the heels of watching quite possibly the greatest Wimbeldon men's final ever between Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. I have long said that tennis was better in the mid 80s with McEnroe, Connors, Becker, Edberg, Lendl, and others battling for the majors, but watching Nadal and Federer play has made me rethink this. I could discuss this great match further, but I wouldn't do it justice... as I'm just a casual tennis fan. I'm sure there are blogs out there that can dissect it better.

Anyways, I thought about all the times I've said that (name the sport) was better back then than it is now, but is that true? Today's athletes are in better condition and have access to better technology and medicine so it can't be true. Can it?

My belief is this... today's athletes compensate fundamental flaws by their athleticism. I'll use basketball as an example.

The argument today is kids can't hit the mid range jumper or free throws like those in the past. For the most part this is true, but yesterday's athletes couldn't get to the basket like today's kids do or had the 3 point range. Then again there wasn't always a 3 point line so who knows if the last part is true. The game today is fast paced, but more one on one oriented unlike the past where it was more half court.

I guess the point of this post is instead of wishing the game you watch was played the same way it was years ago, appreciate the improvements and mildly bitch about the loss of fundamentals. I know that's what I'm doing to do going forward.

1 comment:

Jakob Kagel said...

check out the previews http://collegebasketball247.blogspot.com/