Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Random rant- the marketing of Alabama basketball

DJC alluded it to in one of his post below, but I had to comment on the lack of marketing of the basketball program.

Football is king and always will be king at the University of Alabama. That's the way it is, but it doesn't mean basketball can't be marketed in conjunction with football.

Let's look at the preseason basketball schedule... why is it that our opening day matchup with Mercer on 11/16 is on Sunday at 6PM? Wouldn't it make more sense to schedule that on Friday night before the Mississippi State home game? Fans are going to be here so why not take advantage of that and draw more than a crowd of 1000 to opening game? People are going to leave Tuscaloosa Sunday morning heading back home. It's mind boggling not to take advantage of the football crowd coming in. We've got to market the team outside of Tuscaloosa. The population of metro T-town isn't big enough to bring in the crowds for non-conference games.

An aside... prediction of our record going into December: 3-2. We'll learn a lot about the team in Maui.

6 comments:

DJC said...

I'm hearing Hansboro may be out for the Maui Invitational. Call me crazy, but I'm getting my hopes up a little bit. With him out, and UNC perhaps experimenting and/or being a little rusty early in the year, I'm not conceding defeat in that game, if we are fortunate enough to get past Oregon.

bobbyjack said...

I want them at full strength. I think we are athletic enough to somewhat keep Hansbrough in check... I worry about their backcourt more. Outside of Torrance, we don't have decent defensive guards that will play.

Mitchell said...

Barring his "stress reaction" becoming a stress fracture, I think Hansbrough will be back by the time of Maui. Even if he isn't this is still a top ten team. Bama isn't.

I think Bama has enough to beat Oregon who is in a bit of a transitional year. Unfortunately, while I think Bama has enough talent on the floor to give the top three (Carolina, Texas and Notre Dame) problems, I'm not sure they can beat them. Those are three very good teams.

The Oregon game, in my opinion, is ultimately the biggest game for Bama in this tournament. It's a game that could make or break their tournament hopes at the end of the year. They really need to win that game.

bobbyjack said...

If we beat Oregon we probably end up 1-2 in the Maui Invitational. Lose to Oregon and we probably end up 2-1. Strange huh...

Beating Oregon would set up a matchup with UNC and then either Texas or Notre Dame. Losing to Oregon would setup an epic matchup with Chaminade followed by a riveting game against St Joe's or Indiana. Of course UNC could lose to Chaminade and screw up my sceenrios, but there's a better chance of Mississippi State winning a BCS title game than that happenning.

I'd rather be 1-2 coming out of Maui knowing we were tested than 2-1 winning a couple of cupcake games. That's just me.

Mitchell said...

Bobbyjack: I agree with you. Not to mention their RPI is improved from playing Oregon/UNC/Texas or Notre Dame (though I think St. Joseph's has a very solid team).

Plus, win or lose, I'd like to see Alabama play North Carolina. It would be very exciting.

Anonymous said...

you guys are idiots we are terrible and have no shot vs the heels. we have gottfried, did you forget?