Monday, December 29, 2008

Quincy stats pack and a rant on stupid inventions

First off, you got to know so here's Quincy's season stats.

The mighty Division II Quincy Hawks come into Tuscaloosa looking to end our 3 game winning streak. I say, "HA!" Scratch that, we barely beat Yale.

The stats:
- 49% FG
- 40% 3 PT FG
- 71% FT
- +4.5 rebound margin
- 15 turnovers a game

I would say these stats are meaningless considering the competition they've played, but we play like a Division II team at times so it might be pertinent. Justin Brock is their leading scorer and rebounder and is also the only regular taller than 6'6". We should control the boards... right?

Prediction: I got the built in excuses lined up.
1) We're on short rest.
2) Yale really challenged us.
3) Quincy plays hard and their shots just seem to fall.
4) Crowd support.
We should win BIG, but I suspect it'll be closer than we want it to be for 30 minutes.

Stupid Inventions
I assume the readers of this blogs (thanks for the support BTW) are too smart to buy this:


If you bought one I am embarrassed for you. Let me get this straight... a blanket with sleeves? Why not wear a sweater in the house if you're cold. Or here's an idea... turn the heat up. This might be the dumbest invention ever to hit the airwaves since the Flowbee. If you're too young to remember the Flowbee, google is your friend.

Edit- I love junk mail...

I was going to list a 2nd one, but I got distracted with work and the Rutgers-NC State game and totally forgot what it was. I'm sure I'll see it again and will rant on it sometime in the near future.

5 comments:

Mitchell said...

Hahaha. The Snuggie is horrible. Who in their right mind would buy that atrocity?

My favorite bit in the commercial is when the douchebags are at the football game cheering while wearing their Snuggies. The people around them are like, "what the hell is that?"

My old lady and I refer to the old cat sitting in the chair reading the paper as Emperor Palpatine. The Snuggie: Chosen by Sith Lords for centuries!

It won't surprise me if Quincy keeps us on the edge of our seats for the majority of the game. Oh well, we may as well enjoy the wins, even the close ones, while we can. While Bama may be able to pull out a win against Ga. Tech at home, I'm expecting an absolute beatdown from Clemson. Consider these factors:

1]Clemson plays tough, full-court defense.
2]Alabama isn't exactly known for its toughness on the road.

Speaking of which, I watched Georgetown visit Uconn tonight and absolutely throttle the team I consider the 2nd best team in the country. I love the way John Thompson's teams play. They hit Uconn early and never let up. I can't remember the last time I saw Bama do that on the road. Oh well, a change is gonna come.

finebammer said...

my job's on the line,

my 401k's toast,

and now you want to take my snuggie?!?!?!?

oh, the insensitivity of it all!!!!

what's next??? my 'listen up'??

my enzyte???

(and by the way, the red snuggie with the brown couch just ain't workin' for me, you know?)

mitch, saw some of that g'town game too. never been a fan of g'town because of thompson sr.

but this is one of the very few father/son coaching transitions that actually worked out. j.t. jr. believes in tough, in your face, consistent defense.

and it's always good to see uconn get undressed at home in front of one of the most obnoxious fan bases in the world.

on a side note:

i've always wondered what the over/under would be on the number of minutes mark gottfried would last coaching in the big east.

bobbyjack said...

One last comment about the snuggie... you know those things would sell like hotcakes if they were licensed by the NCAA. Imagine a row of Bockrath Elephant, snuggie wearing fools in your section. Joy!

Gtown really took it to UConn... and I loved every minute of it. Like you guys mentioned in your comments they play tough.

The Big East might surpass the hype of its toughness. The only sure wins are USF and Depaul. Sadly, those 2 teams would compete for the SEC West.

finebammer- use Stan Heath *at USF) as your CMG barometer in the Big East. I believe he's in year 2.

Mitchell said...

Finebammer: When all is said and done, I believe John Thompson Jr. may turn out to be a better coach than his old man, and that's saying something. Regardless of your personal feelings about Thompson, he was one of a handful of coaches that put the Big East on the map.

Bobbyjack: I'm actually one of the few who think Heath is a good basketball coach. I have no idea what he was thinking taking the South Florida job. I think he could have held out for a better mid-major job. So it goes.

finebammer said...

i lost all resoect for thompson after his olympic coaching debacle.

he picked alonzo mourning to that team out of high school and then shock of shocks, mourning goes to g'town.

he used the process to recruit mourning then loses the damn thing.

stupid. never cared for him after that.