Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Potential coaching candidates and their bios

This is in no particular order. I'm including anyone rumored and those I heard about.

Mike Anderson- Probably the most popular one most of our fanbase thinks can be had. I know I'd love to see 40 minutes of hell in Coleman.

Oliver Purnell- probably the most realistic candidate out there considering our past. I think he would do well here, but he's not the big name people are looking for in the fanbase.

Tom Izzo- this one was initially hard for me to believe. I still think it's unlikely, but if there's even a hint of him being interested we should be prepared to back up the Brinks truck for him.

Frank Haith- the most recent name to surface and probably the least appealing to the fanbase. I think he's a decent coach, but I'm not sure if he's much of an upgrade over who we had.

Seth Greenberg- winning at Va Tech is tough and he is doing that, but his teams are world beaters and slump breakers at the same time. Inconsistent. Saying that, I wouldn't mind if he ends up here as I believe better talent would equal more stability.

Tubby Smith- timing is everything and we're 2 years too late. I don't see Tubby leaving Minnesota after 2 years. I think his character is too strong to job hop and leave a group of kids behind in a short timeframe.

Anthony Grant- to be honest I wasn't a big fan until recently. He's dominated the CAA and was a key component in bringing Florida 2 National Titles. Watching Donovan struggle makes me believe Grant was more of a factor than I first thought.

I intentionally left out Brad Stevens, Sean Miller, Jay Wright, and Jamie Dixon for various reasons from not being a HC long enough to waiting for a top tier job, to being comfortable where they are.

If I were a betting man I'd lay money on Purnell. He's not my top choice, but I'd be happy with him.

2 comments:

Rocky Mountain High Tide said...

I've been on the Grant bandwagon for a while as my Gator friends think he was responsible for much of their success. The way UF has played the last 2 years without Grant seems to backup that theory. My top choice is still M Anderson, even over Izzo. After that I'd take Grant. I'm not a big fan of Purnell. He needs to make a run in the tourney to convince me he's worth the effort.

Anonymous said...

I was really impressed with VCU last night despite their loss.