Tuesday, March 10, 2009

SEC Tournament Prediction

Bobbyjack usually handles the predictions, but I thought it would be fun to post my SEC tournament bracket and see how it does. I think the tournament is wide open this year, and nothing would surprise me. A lot of these games could easily go either way. All things being equal, I'm a homer, so here it goes...

(E4) Kentucky vs. (W5) Ole Miss [Raycom] 1:00 p.m. ET

Kentucky over Ole Piss. I know UK is playing awful right now, but they always bring it in March. They are playing for their NCAA life, and haven't missed the tourney since they were on probation. Jodie Meeks is good enough to carry them all the way to the championship if he gets hot.

Game 2 (W3) Miss. State vs. (E6) Georgia [Raycom] 3:15 p.m. ET
m$u over UGA, unfortunately.

Game 3 (W4) Alabama vs. (E5) Vanderbilt [Raycom] 7:30 p.m. ET

Two hot teams, we should have beat them in Nashville for the first time in 20 years, I think we get them back in Tampa. Bama

Game 4 (E3) Florida vs. (W6) Arkansas [Raycom] 9:45 p.m. ET

Florida.

SECOND ROUND - March 13 (Friday)
Game 5 Game 1 Kentucky vs. (W1) LSU [Raycom] 1:00 p.m. ET
Kentucky. LSU has slipped a little as of late, and they've already got their NCAA bid wrapped up.

Game 6 m$u vs. (E2) South Carolina [Raycom] 3:15 p.m. ET

South Carolina. This could go either way, but I'm going to be optimistic and hope $tate gets sent home early.

Game 7 Alabama vs. (E1) Tennessee [Raycom] 7:30 p.m. ET

They will be out for revenge, but if we can beat them in Knoxville, we can beat them in Tampa. Tide rolls into the semis. Alabama.

Game 8 Florida vs. (W2) Auburn [Raycom] 9:45 p.m. ET
Florida. auburn will give them a game, but the home court advantage will be too much.

SEMIFINALS - March 14 (Saturday)
Game 9 Kentucky vs. South Carolina[Raycom] 1:00 p.m. ETA friend of mine who is a USC fan is convinced they will flop in Tampa. He knows his team better than I do. By this point Tampa will be Lexington South. The Cats advance to the championship game. Kentucky

Game 10 Alabama vs. Florida [Raycom] 3:15 p.m. ET

This will be tough. If we can contain Calathes, we get it done. Gee hits a shot at the buzzer to eliminate his home state team in front of all his friends and family. Alabama

FINALS - Kentucky v. Alabama.

We've come this far, may as well win it. We become this year's version of Georgia. Then it's off to Boise as a 10 sede in the big dance! SEC Tournament Champion: Alabama

6 comments:

finebammer said...

send me some of that badass stuff you're smokin'.

i'll need it the next time i check my 401k.

Mitchell said...

DJC: I sure hope you're right, but I'm afraid I'm one of the 13% who believe Vanderbilt will beat Alabama on Thursday.

Both teams are playing well right now, but Vanderbilt is beginning to come together. If Auburn is on the bubble, Vanderbilt can't be far behind. They've won 19 games, finished 8-8 in conference, have one of the best big men in the conference, a coach who continues to be undervalued in my opinion, and seem to be peaking at the right time.

It could go either way though, and I'm certainly hoping for Bama to advance.

If Bama should lose, I do think the University will accept a bid to one of the other tournaments meaning we'll have at least one more game to discuss.

bobbyjack said...

I was about to put one up, but you beat me to it. Dang you! (g)

Mine:
- Ole Miss over Kentucky- Billy Clyde gets his walking papers. How can a team with Meeks and Patterson be so jekyl and hyde? Rebels by 3.

- M$U over UGA- should be a cakewalk for the barn of Mississippi. State by 20+

- Arkansas over UF- UF was in this position last year and blew it. I suspect the same will happen again. Hogs by 4.

- Bama over Vandy- 2 teams playing their best ball of the year... I'll be a homer and predict us to win by 6.

Friday
- Bama over UT... being a homer again. Bama by 6.

- SC lite over barn Mississippi... I say blowout. Cocks by 16.

- LSU over Ole Miss... again I'm saying blowout. LSU by 20.

- Auburn over Arkansas... Auburn burns Arkansas from outside... by 13.

Saturday
- South Carolina over LSU... just a gut feeling... by 1.

- Bama over Auburn... no way we lose 3 to the barn in one season. Bama by 9.

Sunday
- Cocks over Tide... close game, but Cocks hit the big shots late to prevail by 7.

finebammer said...

(bob)byjack's big on the cocks????

(any body else hear that whistling???)

Mitchell said...

Here are my predictions:

Thursday: I'll go with Kentucky, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt and Florida.

Friday: LSU in a close one over Kentucky. My gut tells me to go with State over Carolina, but my head tells me not to bet against Downey. I'll go with Carolina by a hair. Vandy will give Tennessee hell, but fall just short. If Ogilvy returns, look out for this team next year. Finally, I'll go with the Gators in a close one over Auburn, keeping their tournament hopes alive while ending Auburn's.

Saturday: LSU will roll Carolina and Florida will pull another tough one out against the Vols.

Sunday: LSU pulls away late, leaving Florida's fate in the hands of the committee.

DJC said...

4-0 on day 1, 0-4 on day 2...Oh well.