Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Pairings for the 2009 Old Spice Classic released

Alabama will play Baylor in the first round of the 2009 Old Spice Classic being held Thanksgiving weekend (November 26-29) in Orlando at the Milk House located at the Disney Wide World of Sports Complex at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Other first round match-ups include Creighton vs. Michigan, Marquette vs. Xavier, and Florida State vs. Iona. You can click here to read the release and see the bracket. The tournament will be aired on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU. Should Alabama advance past Baylor, they would play the winner of the Florida State/Iona game.

Baylor underachieved a year ago, but do return a nice core of players and have a top 20 recruiting class coming in. They're deep, talented and, despite last year's underwhelming season, I do believe Scott Drew is a good coach. He was able to salvage the season somewhat by guiding the team to the NIT Final where they lost to Penn State. The team plays fast and, in my opinion, a little too loose at times, but their talent level is undeniable. If they come out on fire, Alabama could find themselves in another game such as the one with Oregon last year in Maui.

Other tournaments with SEC schools:

Puerto Rico Tip-Off:

Dayton vs. Georgia Tech, George Mason vs. Villanova, Indiana vs. Ole Miss, Boston University vs. Kansas State

Maui Invitational:

Maryland vs. Chaminade, Cincinnati vs. Vanderbilt, Colorado vs. Gonzaga, Arizona vs. Wisconsin

Charleston Classic:

Tulane vs. Miami, UNC Wilmington vs. Penn State, South Florida vs. Davidson, La Salle vs. South Carolina

5 comments:

Hville said...

Good post, Mr. Smilie. I assume you and DJC will make it down to Orlando for that one....

Hville said...

Also, if you wish to add a photo of Charles Hankerson to your previous post, a photo can be found here...

http://blog.al.com/bamabeat/2009/08/alabamas_anthony_grant_lands_f.html

DJC said...

Unfortunately, this is Thanksgiving weekend, which is also the weekend of the Alabama-auburn football game which will be on Friday. My plan is to watch the Baylor game at home, go down to auburn for the football game on Friday (hopefully the bball team beats Baylor so I can watch the 2nd game on TV somewhere in auburn after the game). After that, I'm going to work my way from auburn down to FL, probably stopping in Gainesville Saturday to take on the Florida-FSU game (if I can score a cheap ticket, hell, I got nothing better to do that day), but I will go to the game on Sunday. It will be a long, sucky drive home Monday though, that's fo sho.

bobbyjack said...

I'm going. My folks live down that way. Unlike Maui, I might actually see more than one game.

MSmilie said...

I have a brother who lives in Orlando but he will be in Montgomery with the family for Thanksgiving. Perhaps he could loan me a key :) Regardless, I'm thinking about going.

Hville: Thanks for the photo.