Thanks to Delta I spent an extra night in St Thomas. I guess there are worse places to be stuck. Anyways...
DJC covered the tournament and the general suckage of our team below. I'm going to add some random thoughts.
- On the plane ride home I spoke to an Iowa media guy and asked him what did the coaches prepare the Hawkeyes for against us. His answer was to take away the inside and let them shoot. They were a bit nervous about that on the heels of the Seton Hall game, but obviously it worked out well. They primarily played a hybrid 2-3 zone, double-teaming Green and only worried about Davis from the outside. It was explained to me it was more of a 1-2-2 look with more collapsing inside. We played their game...
- I suspect EVERY team we play will implement this the best they can. We'll have a game or two like Seton Hall, but if we don't improve we're not much better than the Barn.
- Iowa isn't supposed to be very good. They lost to the LBC (Long Beach) on Monday... and thanks to Delta they (and Clemson) were stuck like me in St Thomas Tuesday.
- St Peter's celebrated their win over us like they made the Final Four. I give them all the credit in the world... their kids never quit. IMO ours were going through the motions since Saturday morning.
- I'm not as full of BAMA as DJC is. I skipped the Iowa game and instead drank on the beach. I did go to the St Peter's shocker with 155 of my closest friends.
- At first, I thought Grant canceling the team's snorkeling trip was a good thing due to their play vs Iowa. I'm not so sure I believe that anymore. I saw a team sleepwalking vs St Peter's (which Grant said himself during a TO), a team playing as individuals, very little chatter between them on the court or on the bench, and when I heard Grant said something about practice when they get back I saw their heads collectively sulk. I'm not sure the approach he's taking with them is effective. Hell... I'll say it... I think he's being too much of a hardass... at least from what I saw in St Thomas.
- The kids aren't having fun out there. Looks to me like the last thing any of them want to do is play basketball. That's a HUGE problem as it won't be corrected at the snap of a finger or more practice time.
- DJC and I talked about Grant's questionable use and non-use of timeouts. We both noticed this last year too. To be honest that bothers me.
For hanging with me through this long post, here are some pics I took at the tourney. They're iPhone quality, but you can see how close we are to the action.
- I'm really concerned about this team. Losing to the 5th, 6th, and 7th place teams is something no one expected. Obviously the season is very young, but IMO we got more than shooting issues.