Sunday, November 06, 2011

Know your enemy- UAH (Huntsville)

I'm still not over the monumental choke job by Nick Saban and staff last night vs LSU so this one might sound bitter.

Hville would probably be a better resource for this preview, but I'll do the best I can.

First off, here's a link to their one of their websites. Now a link to their roster. Next up a link to their stats. They went 29-5 and 11-1 in the GSC in the 2010-11 season.

UAH brings back an experienced team (7 Jrs/Srs) with their top 3 scorers from last season (Jaime Smith, Josh Magette, and Zane Campbell) . I'm not going to pretend I know anything about them outside of what I read so I'll pass it along and let you decide.

Key stats:
- .498 FG
- .361 3pt FG
- 78.2 PPG
- +.2 rebound margin
- 12.5 turnovers

This should be a nice early test for us. We have a definite size advantage, but we should be challenged by their perimeter shot. Since this is an exhibition game I won't predict a score, but we should pull away in the 2nd half and TCB.

Game time is 8PM EST (7PM CST) on Monday November 7th.

As I was writing this report I had the TV on in the background. I thought the snuggie was the worstest invention ever, but this one takes the cake.





Seriously?? If someone showed up at my house with that not only would I kick them out, I would banish them for life from setting foot in my zip code. If you want a laugh go ahead and watch this:






5 comments:

DJC said...

I will be thrilled if we pull away in the 2nd half. UAH is one of the best teams in their division, and their coach, Lennie Acuff is one of the best basketball minds in the state, if not region. He has been there for 15 years and has his system well in place. He has had numerous opportunities to move on to greener pastures, but is comfortable with his UAH gig for some reason.

Combine all of that with how big of a win it would be for their program, after taking us to overtime last year, plus us playing so many young guys and trying to figure out our rotation, and this game makes me very nervous.

They run an offense very similar to that of Georgetown, so it will be good for us to get an early look at it. I am hoping the fact that we played a closed scrimmage against Western Kentucky last weekend will help us out in preparation for this game, whereas last year it was our first outside competition of the season.

finebammer said...

So I take it that you think Saban's job interview with Kraft didn't go well??

Hville said...

I will just add the following: Last season, the Chargers visited Coleman Coliseum and gave the Crimson Tide all it could handle before UA prevailed with a 73-68 decision in double overtime. If I remember correctly, UAH had a shot rim out at the end of regulation to win it.

As a UAH grad, I have been very fortunate to have been able to see a guy like Acuff choose to stay at this university. There was a season when I was still a student that the Chargers went 1-25. And with UAH being a predominantly engineering-oriented school, what Acuff has been able to do here has been rather remarkable.

With Bama's defense getting better each year, this should be a very helpful game for the Chargers also. They are anticipating big things this season. The 3 guys you mentioned, bobby, were on the All-Gulf South team last season...and that was out of 6 players total on the 1st Team.

39 Steps said...

First time football has been referenced here that I can remember. I like it. It shows a real-world attitude.

Re: the closed scrimmage idea. Has that ever been done at Bama before in basketball?

MSmilie said...

I hope the depression surrounding the football game on Saturday doesn't affect attendance tonight. Not that an exhibition was expected to draw a sell-out, but fans have been excited for basketball this year. But, man, that loss was brutal on Saturday night. As much as I live for college basketball, even I am only lukewarm about the season tipping off tonight due to the hangover (figuratively and literally) from Saturday night.

Does anyone know how the closed scrimmage went against WKU? These closed scrimmages are a rather new way of testing a team early. I think it's actually a better way to test your team than these exhibition contests against D-2 or NAIA teams, though it is interesting how many D-1 schools have struggled in these exhibition contests so far this season.

The first time I saw the Forever Lazy commercials I knew that we had truly jumped the shark as a society. The most disturbing thing are the pockets in the front and back in case, you know, you're too damn lazy to take the thing off if you've got to hit the bathroom.