Sunday, November 11, 2012
West Alabama info/link and thoughts on SD St and A&M football game
This is West Alabama's (formerly Livingston St for hose keeping score at home) 1st game of the season so there's not a lot out there about the team. They are preseason 4th in the Gulf South Conference with 1 first place vote in a conference of 8 teams. Steven Samuels is preseason 1st team.
Last year they finished 8-20, but are a very experienced team with 10 juniors or seniors on the roster. Other than that I don't know what to make of them other than what I read. Mike Newell is in his 2nd season there after spending 9 at Arkansas-Monticello. Here's a link to their homepage if you want to read more about the Tigers of West Alabama.
Gametime is 5PM EST (4PM CST). No TV that I know of so you either have to be there, watch on Tide TV, or listen to it on the radio/internet.
South Dakota St
DJC does a heck of a better job than I regarding memory of defense played and in-game nuances so I'm going to stick to a 50,000 ft view here.
1) Releford is obviously in the doghouse because he didn't start again. I have my suspicions why, but since it's personal opinion and for the most part tend to keep that off this board I'll say no more.
2) This team still can't shoot from outside. That's going on 4 years now.
3) Even though we were down as much as 14 the team never quit. We full court pressed and cut that lead to 2 at the half. Not sure why we didn't see much of the in the 2nd half.
4) Nate Wolters was on fire. 30 points on 5-6 3 pointers. Jordan Dykstra came on in the 2nd half to help him on the scoring end. We didn't do a good job of fighting through screens as many of their shots were open or with decent 'breathing' room. The rest of the JackRabbits... not so much.
5) Great shot by Lacey at the end to win it. I'm not sure if that's how it was drawn up, but it resulted in a GW basket so that's all that count.
6) Attendance was roughly 5K. IMO the University did a terrible job promoting this with a home game in the sport that matters to 95% of Alabama the next day.
7) I saw DJC in his prestigious seats and waved from my prestigious seats.I'll upload a picture or 2 when I figure out how to do it from my new phone.
8) Decent win, but I'm more worried about this team now than I was before the game. If we can't pound it inside against a bunch of Canadians (sarcasm) how are we going to do that against bigger/stronger competition? I realize Jacobs was in foul trouble most of the game, but we got just about nothing from Gueye/Engstrom. Both have a loooong way to go to be remotely useful offensively.
A&M Football Game
As I was driving back to ATL last night for whatever reason I wasn't overly upset about the outcome. Really, they dominated us yet we had a chance to win it at the end, but inexplicably threw the ball 3 times from 1st and goal at the 6. We ran into a buzzsaw in A&M... and I think they'd beat us 7/10 times. Johnny Manziel was on fire... and the last A&M scoring drive where he threw 2 perfect passes was a thing of beauty to everyone not rooting for Alabama last night. I have a few gripes... mostly about our offensive playcalling and the complete lack of a pass rush. Oh well... the goal has changed and the team has a SEC Championship to get.